(Entry to our small monastery Kadavul Temple building itself is only for personal worship/meditation, and is now by reservation. You may reserve to attend our 9am Siva puja, or more brief entry at 11am. Please visit our reservations page for a reservation.
The front outdoor grounds of the monastery up to the river lookout and archway is open to freely visit from 9 to noon. All are welcome to meditate under the awesome banyan tree, explore the large information panels in the Banyan Mandapam which tell about our monastery and the Hindu religion, and browse through the many publications and Hindu religious supplies in our Mini-Mela visitor center. A self-guided tour is available for this area. Download the map or pick it up along with an accompanying booklet at the entrance which gives you a basic introduction to the monastery and its areas of service.
Inside Kadavul Temple, guests should ideally sit cross-legged, but never with legs stretched out towards the Deity. No video or photography is allowed of the inside of the temple. If you are not sure how a temple functions or what “puja” is, learn more. You can also watch the first ten-ish minutes and last ten-ish minutes of this video to get a sense of puja.
If you are a Hindu planning to visit on one morning or for a longer pilgrimage, please read our additional guidelines here.
If you are a passenger on a cruise that is docking at Nawiliwili, Kauai’s ocean port, please read our additional guidelines here.
Guests are encouraged to dress in traditional Hindu clothing when visiting. Alternatively, elegant clothing is permitted. No shorts, short dresses, tight-fitting yoga pants, t-shirts or tank tops. Polo shirts and long shorts that cover the knees are okay.
SOME OTHER IMPORTANT GUIDELINES
- Video and photography of the inside of Kadavul Temple is not permitted. All other areas may be photographed.
- We ask visitors to bring an umbrella as it rains often here.
- It is always prudent, even in paradise, not to leave valuables in your car.
- Please note, we do not provide meals at the monastery. You are welcome to use our local Kauai Dining Guide to help plan your meals while on pilgrimage.
- For sizeable groups planning a visit, please email here to coordinate your visit.